



Florida Native Plant Society

**Council of Chapters Meeting Minutes 03/24/19**

Online Go2Meeting

taken by Athena Philips – CoC Secretary

*Kara Driscoll called the meeting to order at 6:33 PM*

**In attendance (16)**

Kara Driscoll -- CoC Chair/Naples Rep	Julie Becker – Tarflower Rep
Athena Philips – CoC Secretary	Susan Knapp – Passionflower Rep
Gail Taylor – Citrus Rep	Gail Parsons – Nature Coast Rep
Robert Dies – Serenoa proxy	Sonya Guidry – Pawpaw Rep
Carol Spears – Villages Rep	Janet Grabowski – Hernando Rep
Nicole Zampieri – Magnolia Rep	Deborah Curry -- Marion Big Scrub Rep
Mark Kateli – Cuplet Fern Rep	Jeannie Brodhead -- Sarracenia Rep
David Perkey – Pinellas Rep	Virginia Overstreet – Suncoast Rep

➤ **Regular Agenda Items**

- **Minutes from previous meeting**  
Robert motions to approve. Julie 2nds. Motion carries.
- **Forum Reports:** Reports referenced are posted on the Forum.
- **Proxies:** Please send proxies. Just make sure someone attends, to insure there is good communication back and forth.
- **Committees:**  
Chapter Liaisons – Susan Carr, had sent an email asking for liaisons to three Committees. Homework: Please contact her, or the Committee Chairs listed on the Agenda. [Education, Policy, Communications, Membership, Conservation, LMP]

Mark: You're asking for help on these Committees?

Kara: Less asking for help, as asking for people interested in these Committees.

Mark: We got the email and passed it around a meeting and had about four people interested. We sent it back with their names.

Kara: They're trying to get more people involved.

Nicole: We were confused maybe about the email. We thought it was asking for chapter Chairs.

Kara: It started as that, but if you can ID people who are involved or interested in activities related to those Committees, that helps.

Julie: If people are involved in activities related to that Committee, then it would be good to periodically check in with them.

- **BOD:**

There were two main take-aways during the Board meeting at the Retreat. We have major website issues and they are working on changing the Bylaws. Not sure how this may effect the chapters yet. The Bylaws are very restrictive now, and many parts are more "policy" related.

## ➤ Old Business

- **Inter-Chapter Disaster Relief –**

Mark: I sent an email Friday and have spoken with many Chapter Reps. There is a need for us to be proactive, instead of scrambling after the fact. There is no plan in place, or likely source of funding to assist with chapter supplies. Some have been on board, and some don't have the funds available. I'm open to having a handbook to guide the application of this. By looking after the stewards of the native plant communities, we will look after the communities. Any questions?

Kara: How do you feel about an in-person discussion?

Mark: I'd love to. Some people like a more definitive plan, though I like to keep it open for creativity.

Kara: Should we set aside time at the Conference?

Mark: I'd like to hear now if there is interest first.

Kara: My chapter is not sure. I like having tiers of different contributions: money goods, time.

Gail T: Citrus will present to Board

Robert: I like the idea, I'll present to Board

Deborah: I like the idea, I'll present to our Board

Janet: I just found out. I'll present it to the Board

Julie: We just had a Board meeting and didn't discuss it, but will next time.

Carol: I sent it to our ExComm. I'm sure Villages will be on board.

Gail P: I will bring it to my Board, but I'm on the fence. If we had some documentation, rather than me presenting it. Bullet points would be helpful.

Virginia: We are on the fence and looking for more details and specifics.

Mark: I can do that. I just didn't want it potentially rejected before everyone had input.

Sonya: My President said to keep an open ear for more details. I'm surprised that it didn't come from the Society level. There are also Kickstarter campaigns that can help.

Mark: As to Kickstarter, we see this as more of a personal need.

Athena: And fund raising after a disaster, there are so many needs, you'll likely be on the bottom of the list. This addresses it before the crunch.

Gail P: Chapters could come up with their own plans, instead of creating administration chores of involving everyone else. I have a question for Nicole. You are in the panhandle, how did you handle that hurricane?

Nicole: Nothing happened with us, and I'm not sure how this works.

Mark: So my chapter pays rent and counts on plant sale revenue. What if we can't source plants to fund paying our bills?

Susan K: I'm on the fence. Those that have been through hurricanes know it would be nice, but having a lending library of things, like a projector screen, might be more helpful.

Mark: Supplies and time would be a part of it. For instance, if a Treasurer has their

roof blown off, the last thing on their mind is balancing the chapter books. So having a volunteer Treasurer, that is willing to help can be a part of this.

Carol: Is this something that can be accommodated at the State level? I do think this is a good idea, and Florida will likely be dealing with this more and more.

Mark: I was hoping the State would take it up. I was told that it was a good idea, but the function of FNPS is more directly related to putting plants in the ground. They are not going to put a plan in place for this.

Nicole: Maybe we should see if the Society would match funds committed by the chapters, or something along those lines.

Mark: The FNPS Mission is to fund plants and they made it clear that it doesn't cover sustaining chapter needs in a disaster. This fund would address that.

Kara: Are there yeas or nays on further discussion of this at the Conference?

Gail P: I think it's premature at this point.

Mark: I agree. I'm going to continue talking to chapters.

Athena: Let me know if you want to set up a Go2Meeting.

Kara: or send emails.

Mark: I will keep you in the loop.

- **ExComm Chapter Help Ad hoc Committee –**

Kara: at the in-person meeting, we collectively helped a couple chapters with some suggestions on problems they have. How can we as the Council set up a way to help chapters?

Mark: I used a Facebook "Job Ad", which is actually a volunteer solicitation, and got three people to respond. We have people wearing multiple hats and I'll keep putting these "ads" out.

Gail P: My chapter has 130 members and 600 Followers on Facebook. Maybe doing that would get someone to join and participate.

Kara: That's a great idea, but I'm asking how the Council can accomplish this.

Mark: The Facebook Council of Chapters group can help.

Gail T: Maybe sending an email asking what the chapters' strengths are, and would they be willing to help other chapters in that area?

Kara: I like that idea. It's much like what we had talked about last year, on bigger chapters adopting smaller chapters. We are also starting an Ad hoc Committee within the FNPS ExComm, on how to help chapters.

Deborah: I'll assist and share my experience.

Mark: I'll help. My chapter touches five counties, and I'd assist in this area.

- **Retreat Recap –**

*Standard Operating Procedures sub-committee* has been established. We'll send out a link to the SOP, for suggestions.

*Website sub-committee.* Because of the Society website issues, we can't really overhaul ours yet. I know Taylor, Linda Schnider, and Janet have offered help. Anyone else willing?

Mark: I might be, but right now I'm busy with the disaster relief project.

Kara: I can send out my draft on what could be addressed, but it's open to what those on the committee want.

*Nominating Committee* has a couple people.

*Privacy* – Please make sure private information isn't shared on Facebook or websites, and that emails are sent using BCC, to protect email addresses.

*Meeting Power Points* – There is a new thread on the Forum to post Power Points from the in-person meetings, and summaries of the meetings!

<https://www.forum.fnps.org/index.php/board,97.0.html>

## ➤ **New Business**

- **Online BOD meeting.**

Gail P: At the last meeting they discussed removing from the Bylaws, the General Membership voting rights, and reducing the three Council Board members down to one.

Kara: There is a lot of work involved as Chair; I'm serving 4 roles. Even so, I think it's not a very good idea to lower our representation from three to one, but I'd like to hear their reasoning before I form an opinion. What I understand about the membership voting, is that we have too many pages of Bylaws, but we can't change them quickly or easily, because they are only voted on by the General Membership at the Annual Conference, so changes can only happen once a year.

Gail P: The voting rights are granted by the Bylaws.

Kara: I'll try to find out more information by the next meeting.

- **Meeting Schedule.**

Kara: We now have all our meetings scheduled every month, on the 4<sup>th</sup> Sun of the month, except in-person meeting months. We'll address holding Summer meetings, when we get there. The next meeting is April 28<sup>th</sup>, at 6:30PM.

- **Initiatives.**

Kara: Would we like to take Plant Rescues as an initiative?

Gail P: Yes

Julie: This would be a good Initiative. Juliet has coordinated it, Susan you've done them. To do them you have to get certain permits and permission.

Gail P: This would be a good workshop at the Conference, especially is there are documents from the Society.

Kara: My vision was putting together a guideline on how to do them, and a contact list of people inside and outside FNPS for information. Maybe potentially a watchdog for development. I'm interested in people for a sub-committee.

Susan: I have run into an ethical dilemma. We are supposed to put on blinders and

only concern ourselves with plants. At the last rescue, people were asking about tortoises and I had to tell them we aren't here for that.

Kara: I was torn up about tortoises and animals on a rescue, and I'm right there with you. Is there a way we can partner with other organizations for discussion?

Susan: Our directive is that if someone wants to report it, that they stay anonymous or only act as a concerned citizen, not connected to FNPS.

Kara: Do we want this as an Initiative?

Gail P: Maybe a Power Point at the Conference on doing a rescue?

Kara: Interested volunteers? Susan Knapp volunteered, Sonya Guidy is interested, Deborah Curry interested. Kara volunteers.

### ➤ **General Discussion**

- [None]

**Meeting Adjourned 8:15PM**