



Florida Native Plant Society

**Council of Chapters Meeting Minutes 06/23/19**

ONLINE Go2Meeting

taken by Athena Philips – CoC Secretary

Kara Driscoll called the meeting to order at 6:31PM

**In attendance (17)**

\* indicates proxy

|                                    |   |
|------------------------------------|---|
| Big Bend – Jaya Milam              | Pinellas – David Perky                  |
| Citrus – Gail Taylor               | Sarracenia – Jeanie Brodhead            |
| Cuplet Fern – Nihal Hafez *        | Sparkleberry – Carol Sullivan           |
| Eugenia – David Martin             | Sumter – Judie Bradley                  |
| Lake Beautyberry – Patricia Burgos | Suncoast – Virginia Overstreet          |
| Martin – Dianna Wentink            | Athena Philips CoC Secretary            |
| Naples – Kara Driscoll CoC Chair   | Bonnie Basham – (FNPS Pres.-elect)      |
| Palm Beach – Helen Laurence        | Susan Carr (Paynes Prairie; FNPS Pres.) |
| Passionflower – Susan Knapp        |   |

➤ **Regular Agenda Items**

- **Minutes from May 16th meeting** Dianna Wentink motions to to approve, Helen Lauence 2nds the motion None opposed – Motion carries
- **Reminders:**  
Subscribe to the Forum posts to be notified of new posts. You don't need to be logged in to see Board posts and read reports.
- **Committees:**  
Conservation Todd Angel was recently alerted to two incidents on conservation properties. The first was a major cutthroat grass destruction at Lake Wales Ridge State Forest, and the other was underbrush clearing at Wekiva. Todd says that FNPS can be a watchdog, and need chapters and members to help report these things.

Policy: SE Chapters Policy Initiative report is available on the Forum

Education: A new "On the Vine", from the May meetings will be available soon.

Susan Carr: Thank you for mentioning Todd's report. He and I wrote a letter to all of FL Forestry, which got us invited to a follow-up meeting locally. We are working towards a point where this doesn't happen again. This was one person, and we have over 4000 members who can be the eyes and ears on this.

Kara: I think it's important to facilitate this kind of discussion.

## ➤ Old Business

- Conference Round Table review

We are working on each chapter having a Google Drive folder to share. We discussed chapter conservation issues and projects. Any comments?

Gail T: I liked going around the room and discussing all the conservation work chapters are doing.

Kara: I feel we had a good response from chapters to tentatively agree to start chapter drives. I'm going to work on how to structure Drive folders. I'd like to do a workshop at the Aug meeting. How comfortable would people be to doing it as a Go2Meeting?

Everyone: "In person"

Kara: We have a lot scheduled for Aug and may not have the time. We could send a poll asking about substituting the meeting for the RT/workshop.

Gail T: Is it possible to do it if we come early, or stay late?

Susan C: I think it may be possible for both.

Helen: When is the retreat?

Susan C: In August, I don't know the date. It will be at Archbold Biological Station.

## ➤ New Business

- Please respond to this meeting's post on the Forum, with additional comments for this discussion. Or respond to the Conference poll that was emailed out.

- **Conference presentations:** What would be a good Conference presentation? Do you know someone who can give presentations?

Dianna: Linda Eastman wrote an article about how we increased our membership and has submitted it to the Palmetto. She is waiting to hear back from Marjorie.

Kara: Forward me the email, and I'll look into it.

Dianna: Martin is interested in giving a workshop about increasing membership at the next conference.

Susan Knapp: I would like more help understanding the legal system concerning what we are allowed to do, and not allowed to do, concerning plant rescues.

Kara: Please take this back to your chapters and comment on the Forum post.

- **Conference student attendance:** This idea was brought up by Gail T on how we could improve student attendance.

Susan K: Free food is always good!

Judie: You're talking college students, right?

Kara: Yes. I'm in a lucky position with family support, but scholarships seem like a good option. Alex Buckle said he wasn't able to take a lot of time off to attend.

Gail T: While at the Conference, I asked several young people. They were there a short time, because they couldn't afford to stay. We emailed afterwards and they said it would cost about \$300, not including lost wages.

Bonnie: Young professionals, not just students, may want to be involved. I'd like to speak up for them, as there are two kinds of people who'd benefit and chapters would know who they are.

Susan C: Gail, what you said is very important and would be good to write up as a paragraph. Right now, the Board is going through post-Conference survey results, but that is just those that went to the Conference. Not the people who didn't.

Dianna: We nominated a someone who is a senior and won an FNPS Award. He didn't go because it was too far. So it's not just young people.

Gail T: Our chapter volunteers who volunteered for 4 hours at the Conference got free registration. So that's an option, too.

Dianna: It was too far.

Kara: I would like to be able to give the experience of the Conference to as many as possible. You see this in the chapters, too. That there is a core group who are enthusiastic and we need to foster them. This segues to the next subject.

- **Member mentoring:** What are chapters doing for mentorship? The Orchid Society has a library of all these webinars available. I would really like to make all our knowledgeable people available.

Dianna: We have a newsletter. In the last issue we issued a challenge, asking people to help look for an orchid that hadn't been vouchered. Within 24 hours we had 2 people respond with locations.

Kara: Does anyone have a mentor a mentor program, or what do you define as mentorship? When I was in Magnolia Chapter, I learned about doing newsletters and running meetings like this.

Patricia: I agree with Kara. Lake Beautyberry tries to provide mentorship opportunities through the workdays and field trips that we host, as we emphasize you do not need a Ph.D. to participate. Our members have asked for a class that teaches them how to use identification keys and they would like opportunities to go into the field to better understand the plants.

Kara: Cocoloba does site visits, on creating native landscapes. They invite whoever wants to go along. Naples members have come along and many people have learned a lot.

Gail: Definition of a mentor: "An experienced and trusted advisor." We need to look and find our members who have experience. Athena knows sandhills, and I'm good at propagation. I'd share that.

Kara: I did something like that today with milkweeds. Naples doesn't have a program yet, but I'd like that. Florida Flora and Ecosystematics started a mentorship program.

Bonnie: Who was that group?

Kara: Florida Flora and Ecosystematics put up a form for it's Facebook group, pairing people up.

Bonnie: Bonnie likes that idea.

Susan K: A long time ago, we had great bakers and people would bring in native ingredients for them.

Judie: I can't think of a nicer idea on getting people involved with native plants.

Kara: Judie, let me thank you for become a Representative and please feel free to contact us.

Judie: Thank you.

Gail T: I'm hoping that everyone will go back to their Boards, and we'll continue this discussion at later meetings.

- **Aug in-person meeting:** If we have time in August, what are topics we need to discuss?

Judie: I was not able to attend the last meeting, and I think the legal issues of plant rescues would be good.

Kara: I'll pass this on. Susan, do we have time?

Susan C: Yes maybe. Who would speak?

Athena: Possibly post the Conference PowerPoint on the Forum?

Susan K: Did anyone get anything from that presentation? I didn't.

Athena: I did. What you can do, can't do, and everything runs through FNPS.

Judie: Sumter is going through miles of development, and I think we need to know what can be done.

Kara: This is coming up a lot. The two best people to cover this are Juliet [Rynear] and Jackie [Rolly].

Athena: Maybe Jackie can speak to Sumter.

Susan C: What Athena said. Having someone to address Sumter's issues.

Kara: Please add additional comments on the Forum. Any other comments?

Pat: Thank you Kara for running these meetings. I'll follow up with my questions and comments at the Forum or Facebook.

- Kara: Please take the last two subjects back to your chapters & post on the Forum.

### ➤ Open Floor

- [none]

Helen Laurence made motion to adjourn.

Susan Knapp 2nds.

**Meeting Adjourned at 7:34PM**