



Florida Native Plant Society

Council of Chapters Meeting Minutes 07/28/19

ONLINE GO2MEETING

taken by Athena Philips – CoC Secretary

Kara Driscoll called the meeting to order at 6:31 PM

In attendance (21)

* indicates proxy

Citrus – Gail Taylor	Pawpaw – Sonya Guidry
Eugenia – David Martin	Pinellas – David Perky
Heartland – Gregory Thomas	Sarracenia – Jeanie Brodhead
Hernando – Janet Grabowski	Sparkleberry – Carol Sullivan
Lake Beautyberry – Patricia Burgos	Sumter – Judie Bradley
Mangrove – Al Squires	Suncoast – Virginia Overstreet
Martin – Dianna Wentink	Athena Philips CoC Secretary
Naples – Kara Driscoll CoC Chair	Bonnie Basham (FNPS Pres.-elect)
Nature Coast – Gail Parsons CoC Vice Chair	John Benton (Lake Beautyberry Chapter)
Palm Beach – Helen Laurence	David Biega (Passionflower Chapter)
Passionflower – Susan Knapp	

➤ **Regular Agenda Items**

- **Minutes from previous meeting** Did everyone have time to read the Minutes, and want to approve them? Consensus says yes. No corrections.
Judie Bradley motions to to approve, Helen Laurence 2nds the motion. None opposed – Motion carries
- **Forum Login/Notifications:** Click button to get notifications of new posts sent to your registered email. This is in addition to us sending emails out. [live on-screen demonstration of how to do this]
- **Proxies:** Please find a proxy. Chapter Reps are strongly encouraged to attend 4 meetings a year. Not that we can punish you, but we will call and check in on you.

- **Board Reports:** are posted on the Forum. We encourage you to check in, or get notifications, there to see what Board activity might be of interest to your chapter, and to direct me [Kara] as your Representative on the Board.
- **Next Council Meeting:** Next in person meeting is Aug 10th, 2019 at Archbold, next online meeting is Sept 22, 2019, at 6:30PM

➤ Old Business

- **Disaster Relief:** Mark Kateli sick, report tabled.
- **Follow-up, Improving Conference youth attendance:**

Kara: Did anyone speak to their chapters?

Judie: I forgot to tell you, we are closed for the summer.

Kara: Yeah, I kinda thought that might happen.

Gail T: For anyone who doesn't know, I spoke to several students after the Conference, and it wasn't the cost of Registration, it was the cost of transportation, food, time from work.

David P: Everybody liked the idea at our chapter meeting. We also know some young Rangers at Honeymoon Island State Park, but we need to coordinate it.

Gail T: I propose when we take it back to our chapters, that we look to establish scholarships for at least one young person.

Bonnie: Can I jump in, Kara? I think as important as bringing I young students, is also bringing in young professionals. I urge you to consider them.

Patricia: We discussed this and Beautyberry chapter is agreeable to doing this for \$300 and will vote on it. I'd like to ask Gail, should we pick them ourselves, or pool all our money? A local student may only need gas money, but a distant Panhandle student needs more. Maybe a sub-committee could decide on applications?

Gail P: I recommend we handle it locally. We can ask them to come to a meeting afterwards, and tell us what they learned.

David P: I agree, local.

Virginia: I also agree, local. And anyone in my area, in the surrounding counties, I can take them.

Gail T: I don't think we want to get FNPS involved, and should handle it locally.

Helen: I agree keep it local, and it's a way to attract "mentees".

Judie: I like this idea, but where do you find them?

Gail T: If you attended any of the [Conference] main presentations, they are Professors, and they'll share names with you.

Judie: We do have a local college.

Kara: There are also other clubs like 4-H, Boy Scouts and others. I agree to

keeping it local, but like pooling funds too. Perhaps having a coordinated committee?

Gregory T: A suggestion from Whitney our Publicity person. To get more youth involved, partner with a local institutions that have established programs like botany.

Judie: The last meeting's discussion about destruction at the Parks, these people need education.

Kara: I am studying milkweed and had to reachout to many Co Parks and Preserves. I don't know how much funding these places get, but in Charlotte Co I had one manager bring two of his staff out, because they needed more training. I think this is a program that could work for students and young professionals.

Al: In Charlotte Co, at least once or twice a month we have people come to help us with exotic control. They could come.

Kara: I'd like to get you their information.

Gail T: I'd like to post this to Facebook and the Forum, to continue discussion.

- **Follow-up, Mentorship:**

Al: We have field trips 11 out of 12 months and our meetings.

Gail T: Is anyone in their chapters talking to their members one to one, to see what they want or need?

Gail P: Are you doing that?

Gail T: No, I don't think any of us are. That's why I'd like to hear from everyone.

Sonya: In the past we have done member surveys, and it was kinda overwhelming.

Patricia: One thing our chapter does, is that any Officer who isn't involved at a table, we go around the room to talk to people, especially new ones. Wendy has a new workshop idea.

Janet: Last year we did a questionnaire. Next week we are having a planning meeting, to get member interests for activities.

Gail T: How many responded and how many attend meetings?

Janet: About 20% attend, plus non-members. I think the response rate was pretty good.

Judie: The questionnaire, do you have a copy?

Janet: I can get it to you, or maybe post it to the Forum.

Gail T: Citrus has one. Athena is it posted anywhere?

Athena: I just updated it and can share it in the follow-up email.

Kara: Does everyone agree that we can respond to the Forum posts for this?
[scattered yeses]

Gail P: I'd like to suggest an alternative. I can wait until the Open Floor.

Kara: This is what we have.

Gail P: Is there a reason we can't change?

Kara: I'm happy to try and facilitate that, but it will take time. We can post this to

the Forum, one thread for each topic, and two separate Facebook posts. And you're welcome to email us.

- **August meeting:**

- Round-table

- Kara: Are there any suggestions for Round-table discussions during this meeting? I'm suggesting, 'What function the Council of Chapters should have.'

- Judie: A lot of us are interested in plant rescues. Would that be good?

- Kara: I think this would be a good time, on legalities and even ethics. I'd perhaps get Juliet or Jackie to do this.

- Al: We can't really do that at the Round-table, because those two people will be at other meetings. Maybe Nov?

- Susan K: We'd be interested in roadside wildflowers.

- Kara: Good topic. Would you be interested in conservation, advocacy, or _____?

- Susan: Yes.

- Sonya: We have adopted a highway next to a Park. When we clean it, we make a flowering plant list.

- Kara: Any other suggestions, email me.

- Google Drive

- Kara: The best time available was 7PM. People will be tired, but this will be a re-getting our feet wet. It will be as painless as possible, just to get people who are unfamiliar with it, to work with people who are familiar with it. Does that sound comfortable?

- [room enthusiastically says "yes"]

- Al: That goes 7-11PM, right?

- Gail T: Al, are you bringing the alcohol?

- Kara: I'm thinking one hour, but it can go as long as everyone is willing. I'd also like to see if a couple people might like to do brainstorming on how to set up the chapter Drive folders.

- Janet: I won't be there and can't get a proxy.

- Judie: I have a daughter about an hour from there. You can ask if she wants to go.

- Kara: Please bring your laptops and leave your inhibitions behind. I know I look put together, but I'm not, and if I can do it, anyone can. It's not hard.

➤ **New Business**

- **Steering Committee:**

- Kara: I'd like to announce the need for a Steering Committee. We meet a lot right now, and it might be better to meet quarterly and have smaller focused meetings

more often. I'm looking for two-three interested people to do this. If you'd like to join us, the meeting is Aug 18, 2019 at 6:30PM, and I can send you a link.

➤ Open Floor

- Kara: Gail Parsons, you had a suggestion for alternatives to the Forum?
Gail P: I suggest using Facebook. Is there anyone here who doesn't have a page?
Al: Mine is not working.
Gail P: You had one?
Al: Yes, but I can't sign-in now.
Susan K: I had one, never used it, and now I can't get in.
Gail P: Once somebody posts something, it comes immediately to you. And you can upload any file you want. I think it would be a lot easier. You can do everything on Google Drive that you can do on Facebook.
Kara: I think Facebook is a lot easier than the Forum, and acknowledge that not everyone does Facebook. I do like how fast you can post and engage.
Janet: I don't have a page, and don't use it.
Gail T: I use it, but wouldn't be interested in using it for this.
Sonya: I have Facebook, but really only post to the chapter's page.
Judie: I enjoy seeing every chapter's posts.
Kara: We have the Forum, website, Facebook, and email as communication tools. How do we want to use them? Do we want to use them? Think about the tools we use, and decide what is the easiest one for you to use.
Gregory: Clearly we have an audience that likes a lot of different tools. Maybe we shouldn't limit it. Good for a Round-table discussion.
Kara: I agree.
Athena: On the Forum and website, we own everything. If Facebook goes the way of Myspace, we lose it.

Patricia: recap of what Gail T said, the two discussion topics will appear on Facebook and the Forum.
Kara: Correct, to make sure we cover all the bases.

Kara: A reminder that there is no need to set up the chapter Google Drive yet.
Can we get a second call for Attendance? [done]

Judie Bradley makes motion to adjourn. Al Squires 2nds.

Meeting Adjourned at 7:38PM